Make a Difference
• Duluth's Lincoln Park neighborhood is holding a kids costume drive now until Oct. 31. Drop off gently used or new costumes in the designated boxes inside the following locations during regular business hours: Bent Paddle Brewing Co., 1832 W. Michigan St.; Duluth Children's Museum, 115 S. 29th Ave. W.; Ecolibrium3, 2014 W. Superior St.; Frost River Trading Co., 1910 W. Superior St.; and The Lincoln Park Business Group's table in the Duluth Folk School, 1917 W. Superior St., on Oct. 13.
• Gift of Love Fundraiser, Saturday, Oct. 13, at First United Methodist, the Coppertop Church, 230 E. Skyline Parkway. Event includes a 4:30 p.m. silent auction and dinner at 5:30 p.m. Speaker Peter Vodenka will recount his harrowing escape to freedom from Czechoslovakia in 1983. Cost: $15 per person; children ages 6 and under are free. To reserve tickets, call Katy at (218) 726-1071 or email Sylvia at sdiazmeyerGift of Love, P.O. Box 805, Duluth, MN 55801, or visit giftoflovecharity.org. Funds/donations received will go to help those who face hunger and homelessness in the Northland, aid to Rohingya refugees and to assist in the education of students in the Philippines and Nepal.
• Memorial Blood Centers will offer the following blood drives across the Northland. Call (888) GIVE-BLD (448-3253) or go to mbc.org for eligibility guidelines and to schedule an appointment.
Monday: 7:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., Superior High School, 2600 Catlin Ave. Monday: 1-5 p.m., Cook Community Hospital, 10 S.E. Fifth St.
Tuesday: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Vermilion Community College, 1900 E. Camp St., Ely.
Tuesday: 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., 2501 Rice Lake Road, Hermantown. Sponsored by Public Safety Building and Arrowhead Juvenile Detention Center.
Tuesday: 4-7 p.m., Lakeview Covenant Church, 1001 Jean Duluth Road, Duluth.
Wednesday: 7:30-11:30 a.m., Harbor City International School, 332 W. Michigan St., Duluth.
Wednesday: 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., Northeast Range School, 30 South Drive, Babbitt.
Wednesday: 1-4 p.m., Floodwood High School, 115 W. Fourth Ave.
Thursday: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Itasca Community College, 1851 N. Highway 169, Grand Rapids.
• Yarn Harbor is seeking donations of handmade or purchased hats, mittens and scarves for their Warm Up the City event being held Saturday, Nov. 3. Drop off item(s) at Yarn Harbor, 4629 E. Superior St., Duluth, by Nov. 1. All items will be labeled with a tag that reads, "I am not lost! I need a good home. If you need me, please take me home with you." If you'd like to participate in distributing the items in a "yarn bomb" fashion around Duluth, call (218) 724-6432. Participants will meet at Yarn Harbor at 10 a.m. the day of the event.
• Volunteer opportunities supported by Head of the Lakes United Way Volunteer Center. Visit volunteerduluth.org to view opportunities from all affiliates.