Things to Do for Sept. 1, 2017
Something for Everyone
Enjoy your Labor Day weekend!
Go shopping at the Friends of Animals Rummage for Rescue sale at 9 a.m. Saturday, Cloquet Armory, Highway 33 in Cloquet.
Take a drive up to Ely and take part in the 24th annual Harvest Moon Festival, Sept. 8-10, Whiteside Park in Ely. Features art, crafts, music, stage shows and food. Go to ely.org for a schedule of events.
Make plans to check out the 2017 13th annual Art Crawl of fine arts and crafts, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sept. 9 in Cornucopia. Maps are available at several locations around town. Call (715) 742-3449 or go to cornucopiawisconsin.net.
Love beer? Attend Aitkin's fourth annual Harvest Moon Brew Fest, featuring more than 60 beer selections, 3-6 p.m. Sept. 9, Butler Building, 301 Minnesota Ave. N., Aitkin. Tickets: $20 in advance, $30 at gate; designated drivers are $7.50. Go to Register" target="_blank">bit.ly/2vKz5Mx Register
Registernow for the fifth annual Dirt Yard Dash, for ages 13 and older, 2 p.m. Sept. 24, Vineyard Church. Registration fees: $15 by Wednesday, $20 from Thursday through Sept. 23 and $25 through race day; includes barbecue and event T-shirt. There is also a mini race for mud-loving kids ages 8-12. Go to dirtyarddash.org to register.
• Glensheen Historic Estate, 3300 London Road, Duluth, offers a 39-room mansion and 7 acres of formal gardens and working vegetable gardens. Grounds hours: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily with tours offered from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily. Visit glensheen.wp.d.umn.edu or call (218) 726-8910.
• Duluth Depot, 506 W. Michigan St., includes Lake Superior Railroad Museum, Duluth Art Institute, St. Louis County Historical Society and Veterans' Memorial Hall. Hours: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily to Labor Day. Visit duluthdepot.org or call (218) 727-8025.
• Douglas County Historical Society, 1101 John Ave., Superior, offers exhibits, events and history theater. Hours: 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays; noon to 8 p.m. Thursdays; 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Fridays; and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays. Call (715) 392-8449 or go to douglashistory.org.
• Great Lakes Aquarium, 353 Harbor Drive, Duluth, models a number of habitats from the Great Lakes and around the world. Hours: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily. Visit glaquarium.org or call (218) 740-3474.
• Lake Superior Zoo, 7210 Fremont St., Duluth, is the only zoo in Northeastern Minnesota and Northwestern Wisconsin. It features a wide variety of animals and educational displays. Hours: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. Visit lszooduluth.org or call (218) 730-4500.
• North Shore Scenic Railroad, 506 W. Michigan St., Duluth. Go to northshorescenicrailroad.org or call (218) 722-1273 for details.
• Lake Superior & Mississippi Historic River Train, 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays through Oct. 22, 7100 Grand Ave. Call (218) 624-7549 or email email@example.com.