Nibbles & Notes
Get a Taste of Duluth ...
Taste of Duluth isn't just food — though it does have a large sampling of local food and drink vendors — it also includes local retailers, politicians, live music and nonprofits.
The annual event is 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Saturday at Bayfront Festival Park. Admission is free. No outside food or drinks allowed.
Among the vendors available for browsing: Lake Superior Brewing, Blacklist Artisan Ales, Bent Paddle, Earth Rider and Hoops Brewing, King of Creams, Farley's, The Other Place Bar & Grille, Stokke Meats, Duluth Coffee Company, 8th Street Ice Cream and Green Mill.
... And/or get a Taste of Greece
Lamb, souvlaki, Athenian chicken, gyros, spanakopita, domades, pastries and more are on the menu during the 12 Holy Apostles' annual Taste of Greece.
The event centered on Orthodox Christian faith and Greek culture, includes Greek music and dancing, a marketplace and boutique in addition to the flavors.
Taste of Greece is 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at Marshall School, 1215 Rice Lake Rd.
All rhubarb all the time
The rhubarb files continue. In last week's Nibbles & Notes, a reader requested a recipe for rhubarb-strawberry jam. Mary House, who spends summers in Duluth, responded. She picked berries this past week and made four batches. She said she makes the rhubarb in advance and freezes it to use when the berries are ripe.
Rhubarb Strawberry Jam
1 quart strawberries
1½ pounds rhubarb
½ cup water
6 cups sugar
½ tsp butter
Package of Sure-Jell
• Dice rhubarb, cook in ½ cup water until tender.
• Crush strawberries, stir in Sure-Jell, add cooked rhubarb and butter bring to a boil that you cannot stir down.
• Add sugar all at once and bring to a full rolling boil for 1 minute.
• Fill sterilized 8 oz. jars and seal with lids and rings.
Winnie Thaisen of Duluth also sent in one she referred to as her "tried and true."
Strawberry Rhubarb Jam
6 cups diced rhubarb
4 cups sugar
1 can strawberry pie filling
3 oz box of strawberry Jell-O
• Combine rhubarb and sugar and let it sit overnight, then boil for 10 minutes.
• Add strawberry pie filling, bring to a boil and remove from burner.
• Add Jell-O.
• Pour into sterilized jars.