Lake Superior Days starts Friday
People can kick off Lake Superior Days from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. today at the Lake Superior Maritime Visitor Center in Duluth’s Canal Park. Various science, environmental and business organizations will set up informational tables about water use and water issues. This year the programs will focus on celebrating the big lake.
The same events will also be going on at the visitor center from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday.
The Lake Superior Trivia Challenge is scheduled for 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. today, hosted by the Duluth Experience.
Organizers of the Rock of Ages Lighthouse Preservation Society will also be on hand to recruit volunteers to save the 110-year-old lighthouse off the coast of Isle Royale.
During the weekend, Duluth Experience tours will include information about Lake Superior Day and the big lake. The brewery tour focuses on how the lake’s water influences the area’s craft beers.
Events continue Saturday on Park Point:
- U.S. Guard Duluth Station, 12th Street, bayside tour of base. Arrive and call at the gate at 1 p.m. Bring identification; group size is limited to 20.
- St. Andrew’s by the Lake Episcopal Church, 28th Street, lakeside building tours from noon to 2 p.m.
- Visit Lafayette Square Community Center, 30th Street block lakeside, and tour the Lafayette Community Edible Garden. Hosted by members from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Tag along with the YMCA Bike Fleet at Lafayette Square with free usage of bikes for adults and children for the 60-90 minute bike tours of Minnesota Point at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. Space is limited, so arrive 30 minutes early to register for a bike and safety equipment.
- Take a look at the Duluth Rowing Club, 39th Street, bayside, and watch the 60th Duluth International Rowing Regatta from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Enjoy the Park Point Recreation Center, 48th to 50th streets, lake and bayside, and the nearby Duluth Superior Sailing School, meet the staff and learn about classes at the bayside dock, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Kayaks and canoes may be launched on the bayside at 8th, 19th, 32nd, 40th, and 50th streets.