• Now through Nov. 19 — Minnesota firearms deer season.
• Nov. 18-26 — Wisconsin gun deer season.
• Nov. 25-Dec. 10 — Minnesota muzzleloader deer season.
• Nov. 27-Dec. 6 — Wisconsin muzzleloader deer season.
• Dec. 30 — Opening of lake trout and stream trout seasons in lakes entirely within the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness.
• Jan. 13 — Opening of lake trout and stream trout seasons in lakes outside or partly outside the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness.
• March 31 — Brule River steelhead opener.
• May 5 — Wisconsin general fishing opener.
• May 12 — Minnesota general fishing opener.
Consult regulations for other seasons.
"Hunters may try to reduce their motives to such tangibles as trophies, meat, good dog work, companionship, exercise, freedom in quality environments, or simply 'adventure.' Underlying all that, however, are deeply embedded reasons that neither hunter nor psychologist is really equipped to fathom."
— JOHN MADSON
DO IT: Deer hunts in progress
If you're thinking of getting out into a Minnesota state park along the North Shore, be aware that firearms deer hunts are taking place in parts of some parks. The parks are open to visitors during the hunts. North Shore parks holding firearms deer hunts include Cascade River, Gooseberry Falls, Split Rock Lighthouse and Tettegouche. Check with park officials for more details. Minnesota's firearms deer season opened Saturday and continues through Nov. 19.